Our Chiropractor in Irvine Explains Herniated Disc Pain Relief
Herniated discs are identified and confirmed via MRI. X-rays and a physical examination are also necessary so that the appropriate treatment options can be determined. Most injured discs respond well to chiropractic treatment, but in severe cases, surgery may be necessary. Discs might herniate for several different reasons:
- Years of poor posture (at work, at home, during exercise, etc.)
- Incorrect lifting ergonomics
- A sudden injury (car accident injury, sports, injury, slipping and falling down, etc.)
- Even a sudden cough, sneeze, or just bending over to pick something up off the floor can split open a disc that had previously been bulging or weakened and cause it to herniate, allowing the nucleus to slip out to painfully pinch the nerves.
While some herniated discs may require surgical intervention, most of them respond successfully to drug-free, non-invasive chiropractic care. So be sure to discuss your options with our chiropractor so you can get the most effective pain relief and healing options for your situation. Dr. Lee can help you with the following treatments:
- Chiropractic spinal adjustments alleviate one of the major causes of herniated discs—spinal subluxations. With gentle, precise spinal adjustments, our chiropractor corrects posture and alignment of the vertebrae. This removes undue pressure from discs and the nerves for welcome pain relief.
- Therapeutic exercises taught by Dr. Lee strengthen your core and retrain your muscles to maintain correct posture naturally so you avoid damaging discs in the future.
- Massage therapy relieves the radiating musculoskeletal pain, tension and inflammation exacerbated by herniated discs. It also boosts circulation for faster healing and sends painkilling endorphins throughout your bloodstream.