Ergonomics and Proper Posture
Ergonomics and Proper Posture Care with Your Chiropractor in Irvine
Chiropractic Care and Ergonomics Go Together for Pain and Injury Relief
Ergonomics helps us design the work environment to fit the people working in it—to promote efficiency and prevent pain and injury. Today’s technology makes this essential. People hunch over mobile devices, sit in chairs without lumbar support, crane their necks to look at the computer or talk on the phone, etc. Regular chiropractic treatment is essential for correcting and maintaining proper posture—ergonomics helps prevent slouching, craning and sustained awkward positions that hurt.
Personalized Ergonomics Tips from Your Chiropractor
Not everyone has the same ergonomics situation at their workstation. Everyone is built differently. Our chiropractor can evaluate your current posture and workstation to provide a detailed report on how to improve. The following general tips can help you make some posture-saving changes today:
- Adjust your chair’s height so the knees and hips are level—get a foot rest if necessary.
- If your chair does not have adequate lumbar support, get a lumbar-support pad to attach to it.
- Adjust your keyboard so your elbows are at a 90-degree angle. Get a split keyboard to fit the natural posture of your wrists while typing.
- Sit no closer than arms-length from your monitor and position its height so that you can look straight ahead without bending your neck forward.
- With mobile devices: If you talk on the phone frequently, consider getting a Bluetooth device so that you do not have to crane your neck to the side. Avoid typing text-heavy emails on your device or use voice recognition. Raise your phone to eye-level when texting to avoid excessive forward head posture.