These are the two most common arthritic conditions:
- Osteoarthritis—Mechanical wear and tear of the cartilage in the joints, usually due to un-corrected spinal misalignments. This is by far the most common type of arthritis. Cases of osteoarthritis can vary in severity from stiff, painful, creaking joints, mild disc degeneration and small bone spurs all the way to severely degenerated spines where the vertebrae have fused together.
- Rheumatoid arthritis—An autoimmune condition where the body attacks its own tissues, causing pain, swelling, stiffness and joint deformity. It is diagnosed via blood test and can be well managed with a team approach between our chiropractor and your rheumatologist.
Chiropractic treatment for these conditions can provide welcome pain relief and boost your range of motion and energy levels:
- Chiropractic spinal adjustments—Osteoarthritis is largely due to undiagnosed spinal misalignments. Dr. Lee uses gentle, precise spinal adjustments to correct these subluxations. This takes pressure off of the bones, joints, nerves and intervertebral discs. For our rheumatoid arthritis patients, spinal adjustments help the body work better overall by empowering the nervous system to better regulate the immune system.
- Massage therapy—Massage relieves inflammation and provides natural, endorphin-powered pain relief for both types of arthritis. It helps modulate the immune system and improves circulation also.
- Therapeutic Exercise—It is critical for those with joint problems to stay as safely active as they can, and to build core strength that enables them to maintain good posture throughout the day. Dr. Lee can coach you on these exercises, and they can provide a great deal of relief and help you improve your range of motion.